Thứ Bảy, 18 tháng 10, 2014

Memory Triangles


As many of you know, I quilt for others and last spring I was asked to create a quilt from a bag of scraps ... literally, a bag of scraps which had been cut by hand with scissors along with a bunch of other bits and pieces collected over time.

Not that this is anything unusual to most of you, though I have to admit I'm such an OCD quilter that I have difficulties working with a bunch of scraps that aren't ever meant to go together, so yes, this did create a challenge for me. However, this bag of scraps had a story ... many stories, in fact.

256 HST squares - 4 1/2" blocks - end result 64x64

I was given this bag of scraps by a stranger whom I'd never met before who got my name from my LQS owner.  To her, every single piece of fabric in the bag meant something. As she and I discussed the possibilities of what materials could be used, and what kind of quilt could be constructed, my heart nearly broke as I watched her pull out each bit of fabric from the bag and cry as she told me what fabric was cut by who, and what fabric was from what project her mother and/or her daughter had used it with. 

You see, both her mother and her daughter contributed pieces of material to this pile of fabric.  This was a project that a grandmother and a granddaughter were working on together ... before both of them passed away.  Yes, both mother and daughter of the owner of the bag of scraps are gone and the lady was left with this bag of "memories."  

As most of the scraps were hand cut into triangles, my options were a bit limited.  I added the taupe fabric as a neutralizer and though I tried many layouts, I thought the end result of color blocks of triangles worked best. I was honored to piece this quilt together and as I constructed this blanket and quilted it, I could not help but think of all of the bits and pieces of memories this lady will now have to comfort her as she sits with this quilt. 

Memories are such a huge thing ... either something you see, hear, smell, or touch... memories can mean so very much.  Yes, sometimes memories hurt, sometimes memories make you smile, and other times memories can make you laugh.  Memories ...

So I share with you today this quilt of someone else's memories.  I hope she finds reasons to be happy when she sits with the work I created for her.

As for me ... well, I've got to get back to the sewing room and finish up another project or two which will be shared with those of you who visit me in a day or two for the Wicked Black Cat Crossing hop. 

Yes, our reason to be Wicked this year starts on Monday, October 20th ... I would enjoy another reason to visit with you and please know your comments truly do brighten my day ... making happy memories of your kind words for me to pack away to remember another day!

See you soon and until then, happy stitching!





























Socializer Widget By Blogger Yard
SOCIALIZE IT →
FOLLOW US →
SHARE IT →

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét